What do I need to get started? | Castle

What do I need to get started?

First, you'll need to provide the following information about each property so we know it's ready for our management:

  • Name of owning entity
  • Employer Identification Number (EIN) of owning entity, if owning entity is a company
  • Articles of Incorporation of owning entity, if owning entity is a company
  • A copy of the deed
  • Proof of insurance with Castle listed as co-insured (details)
  • Proof of rental registration: Castle requires that each property has a valid rental registration. Please note that if Castle is not listed on your registration documents,we will not receive any direct notifications for upcoming inspections or blight violations. You can read more about our policy here

Property access:

  • Keys: We must have the keys to the property, whether it's vacant or tenanted. You can send us a copy of the keys using the KeyMe app, or you can mail them to us at 2831 E Grand Blvd, Detroit, MI 48211. Alternatively, we can pick up the keys from a local representative.

Here's what we need for each vacant property:

  • Is the property rent-ready? Castle manages properties that are already in rent-ready condition. If your property needs significant rehab, Castle can't take over until the rehab is complete.
  • Utilities: All utilities at the property must be on and in your name. We've created guides for DTE (gas and electric) and DWSD (water and sewer) that explain how to get utilities turned on. Download them here.

Here's what we need for each occupied property:

  • Tenants' contact information: We need a phone number or email address so that we have a way to reach out to the current tenants and welcome them to Castle.
  • Copy of current lease: We need a copy of the tenants' current lease. If the lease is valid, we're obligated to continue enforcing it until it expires, even if ownership or management changes.
  • Information about the security deposit: We need to know who has the security deposit. If you have it, you'll need to transfer it to us. If your previous manager has it, we can work with them to receive it, although we may need you to authorize the transfer from them to us.

Please note that we are not able to enforce tenants’ back balances when transitioning a property to Castle. If a tenant owes back rent to a previous manager, we will have to disregard that amount and start fresh when bringing the property over to Castle.

Additionally, you'll need to provide the following personal information:

  • Your name and address
  • Your Social Security Number if you have one, or your passport number if you don't
  • A copy of your photo ID